Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Patience...

Yesterday Libby and I were talking in the kitchen. She wanted me to warm her up some of her daddy's family famous homemade macaroni and cheese. I, however, was in the middle of fixing some eggs, biscuits and gravy for Trever, who was working at home that morning. I told her I would happily warm up her food if she would be patient, but I was in the middle of cooking something else right that minute.

She let out a deep, loud sigh.

I may never have blogged about this before, but I have been consistently working with Libby on this. She has a tendency to sigh as loudly as possible when she wants something and can't have it right away. She does it a lot at the grocery store, or when we are out on errands, and she doesn't feel I am moving quickly enough. I have explained to her many, many times before that it is terribly rude. So I know she understands that. And yet, she continues to do it when she is frustrated.

So yesterday, when she did it again, I explained (again) that it is rude to do so. I went on to explain that the Lord wants us to be patient, even when it is hard and we don't feel like it. She sat for a minute, taking it all in, and then she asked,
"Mama?"
"Yes Libby?"
"Does patience mean, WAIT?"

And then it hit me. Once again, the Lord had used one of my sweet, little youngins to teach me a lesson. Yes,Libby. That is exactly what patience means. Wait.

I could go on and on showing examples of how this works itself out, but I will just leave it as it is, and let the Lord show how this concept is illustrated in our day-to-day lives...

Father, help me to show the same patience with others, with my husband, my children, my family, my friends, and even with my enemies- those I struggle to love or even tolerate... help me to be willing to WAIT when I want to speak, to act or to REACT. Help me to remember your patience toward me, and help me to show the same pateince toward all those whose lives intersect my own. In Jesus's name, AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind thoughts...