Thursday, February 2, 2012

Boys and Girls and Pink

The first time I got pregnant, I was just sure we'd be having a boy. As it turns out, that is exactly what we had and I couldn't have been happier about it. I wanted our first baby to be a boy.

By the time our second baby came along, our friends and family members were hoping for a girl. I was still perfectly happy with having another boy. I liked my first boy and was fairly sure I'd like a second as well. And, lo and behold, our second baby was {also} a boy.

Babies three and four followed suit. More boys. I admit, I cried when I found out baby number three was a boy, because I really thought my husband was disappointed. Once he assured me he was not upset, I was content again. And, well, I was THRILLED baby number four was a boy because my husband promised to {finally} let me use the boy name I had wanted to use since baby number one. {Josiah}

And all along this process of having {boy} babies, I never understood all the *girly stuff*. I was baffled as to why people wanted to buy so much pink. What was with all the ruffles and lace and accessories? Why couldn't a girl be just as cute in denim or in, I don't know, say, yellow or purple or red instead of {gasp!} PINK?

But then came baby number five. Out first girl. Something bizarre happened to this mama, who likely would not have succumbed to the pressure if she would have had a girl earlier in the birth order. But all those years of boy stuff {blue, green, camo for heaven's sake} made pink somehow more compelling, more attractive than it maybe should have been. And I admit with not a little shame that I went a little crazy buying up impractical clothing that was lacey and frilly and, yes, pink. Very, very pink.

It didn't last forever because this mama is nothing if not practical, and I quickly recognized my sweet little daughter was every bit as cute, and a lot more comfortable, wearing cotton jammies and onesies and rompers. She wouldn't keep a headband on her head to save her life and she had no hair for barrettes. So, we abandoned the frills {except on special occasions} and embraced the practical. But I have to admit, it is still a lot more fun to shop for girls than boys.

Fast forward a few years. Babies number 6, 7 & 8 were all boys. I love my boys, y'all, so don't think for a minute I'm complaining about it. But that brings us to the present, and I am expecting baby girl number 2 in May. Liberty, our oldest daughter, will be turning seven the month before her sister arrives, and I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone quite so happy about getting a baby sister as she is.

And the quantity of pink-hued items being purchased is on the rise.

I've decided just to go with it this time around.

That being said,I've never really been one of those people that assigns specific colors and toys and such to specific genders. I let my oldest son carry his Hot Wheels cars in a purse. Almost all of my boys have gone through stages when their favorite color was pink. {At first, this was very hard on their father, poor man. Now he just smiles and knows they will likely grow out of it.}

And Liberty? She went through a stage that lasted a couple years where she was all about cowgirls with everything it entails- flannel shirts and jeans, boots and hats and horses galore. She was not all that interested in anything particularly *girly* in the way of apparel and toys. She rarely plays with dolls. But, give the girl a break. She has seven brothers, y'all.

And I guess my feeling on the matter is that there are a lot more important ways to embrace being a female than wearing dresses and pink. {Just as there is a lot more to being a male than wearing, I don't know, blue or green or camo.} Boys still like to help bake cookies {and GASP! decorate them too!} and girls still like to play in the mud.

I draw the line at letting her pee standing up. {wink}

All this to say, we are very excited to be getting another girl and we just don't sweat the small stuff.

When we have discussions with our older boys about how God wants them to conduct their lives, we don't bring up the color of their shirts. Seems pretty silly.

Man{kind} looks at the outward appearance, but God looks at our hearts.

So, I guess I am a lot more focused on what is going on *inside* my children's hearts and minds than what they wear.

And as I start purchasing a few things for the sweet little girl we are anticipating, I am keeping all this in mind.

~amy danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind thoughts...