Monday, November 2, 2015

The stuff I'm made of

Halloween was a lot of fun for my family. My oldest son, Andrew, is dating a sweet girl named Amanda, and she is an amazing make-up artist, so she did all of our make up and transformed us into a family of zombies.
It was the first time we have taken them trick-or-treating since Andrew was about 3. My kids had a blast. Even our tiny Ella Grace was thrilled to get FREE CANDY from perfect strangers.

And while I loved it, I admit, I felt a tiny twinge. I've been recoiling a bit from all the blood and gore and violence so constantly bombarding us on television. It hurts me. I feel bad that my kiddos have been subjected to so much of it. At the same time, I know this was make believe and only for one night, and I don't want to be the kind of parent that responds from a place of fear. I just want to shine a light on dark things.

So, I'm not sure how to feel. I am definitely conflicted about this.

I have prayed many times for God to make me sensitive, and I am guessing this is one of the ways that prayer has become manifest. I am going to choose to use it as an opportunity to talk to my kiddos about it.

I don't mean for this post to be a downer, it's just where I am. I know all this sensitivity stuff is part of the unique spiritual DNA I have received from my Father and I know I am supposed to weave this strand of goodness into my parenting, into my marriage, into my friendships. I am not going to shush it up, I am going to present it with gentleness and for the beautiful thing it can be.

I believe that while at one time I considered my sensitivity to be an enormous burden, now I realize that it is a gift, and it is meant to be unwrapped with wonder. So maybe this whole experience has been good for me, because it was the perfect backdrop for me to ponder all these things in a somewhat controlled setting, and it's given me new, creative wonder to go forth and spread all around. Especially on my family. It's part of how I love with the tenderest parts of my soul.

In other news, I have ALMOST completed my book challenge for the year. I think I have 3 or 4 books left. I can totally do this. So far, of all the books I have read this year, Bandersnatch, by Erika Morrison, was the most life changing for me. I highly recommend it and I'd love to discuss it with y'all if you do. It's really magical stuff.

And being November, I am participating in #31daysofgratitude. I usually post my snippets of gratefulness over on Facebook, but I'll share today's here:

Today, I am grateful for tiny little piggies to paint pink. Ella Grace is a pistol, but she is also adorable. #31daysofgratitude
#day2

I have a good, good life.

What are YOU grateful for today? Jump in, wherever you are!!

~Amy




No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind thoughts...