Friday, May 21, 2010

Eat This Book

I have memories of many lovely meals.

I remember meals my grandfather made for me. Meals I watched my grandmother make from scratch. Meals my husband prepared with love.

Homemade jam. Freshly baked bread. Mashed potatoes. Thanksgiving turkey. Messy peanut butter and jelly sandwiches prepared by my sweet children. The list goes on and on...

I have eaten thousands of meals.

But I still have to eat every day.

Those beautiful meals I ate were digested and are gone. In order to keep on living, having strength, I must keep on eating.

And this is the way it is with the Living Bread.

The Bread of Life, the Word of God, the Scriptures. I have read them before. Over and over and over. But what I took in years ago will not necessarily sustain me now. I must keep partaking, keep taking in, keep eating this book...

Frustration comes. Life gets hard. Weariness settles in for a long stay.

But I have already read the Bible, before, over and over... Why should it help me now? I already know what it says...

"For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope." (Romans 15:4)

Encouragement must be fresh. Daily.

Just like bread.



"Give us this day our daily bread." (Matthew 6:11)

"I have not departed from the commandment of his lips; I have treasured the words of his mouth more than my portion of food." (Job 23:12)

"Man does not live by bread alone, but man lives by every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord." (Deuteronomy 8:3)

4 comments:

  1. Well said,Amy Danielle. I'm going to have my youngest read this post because it reaffirms something we were just talking about. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. Words I needed to read and to eat tonight.
    May we be nourished, ~ linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Encouragement must be fresh. Daily.

    Just like bread."

    I love this, how true.
    By the way, I have an award for you over at my place :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is amazing how the bible always brings hope. Beautiful words and verses.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind thoughts...