Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Exploring Isaiah: Chapter 3

Chapter 3: Wow. Tough chapter, right? This chapter is all about the judgment of God on His people. Basically, the people sinned, forsook God, and as a result, the Lord let them reap the consequences of their sin.

And it sure aint pretty.

I found verses 9(b)- 11 a good summary:
"Woe to them! (the wicked) For they have brought evil on themselves. Tell the righteous that it shall be well with them, for they shall eat the fruit of their deeds. Woe to the wicked! It shall be ill with him, for what his hands have dealt out shall be done to him."

The thought that kept strinking me most while reading over this chapter was that perhaps the greatest judgment of all is for God to withdraw and allow sinful human beings to bear the consequences of their own hearts and deeds. That is a terrifying thought.

The verse says they brought evil on *themselves*. Through their sin and wickedness. God gave them over to it. (Reminds me of Romans chapter 1)

Oh friends, aren't you thankful for Jesus? Through Him, we have a way to be forgiven and redeemed from our sin...

I know I have had a tendency to read the Bible and stand back aghast at the attrocious sin of the Israelites, rather than seeing that I have certainly enthroned idols in my own heart and am just as guilty. My prayer is that God would free me {and all of us!} from every idol in our hearts and lives, that we may follow Him completely.

What did you think of chapter 3?


Links to past chapters:
Welcome and chapter 1
Chapter 2

~amy danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind thoughts...