Monday, October 22, 2012

When You Want To Make Crazy Good Cornbread

I have lived for the last several years in a part of the United States that many refer to as "The Deep South." Here, folks like their tea sickeningly sweet and their cornbread, well, not. I have no idea how Northerners do it, but I was born and raised on the West Coast, in California. And there, I learned to prefer my tea unsweetened and my cornbread a little on the sweeter side.

And speaking of cornbread, this is the time of year I make a ton of it, because this is the time of year I make a lot of chili and soups and stews. And also because this is the time of year where I can turn my oven on in the house without thinking our home is geographically located just slightly above Hades. {Humidity, much?}

So, if you are game for a fail-proof, slightly sweeter cornbread {think: Marie Calender's} then you might give this one a try. My Aunt gave it to me several years ago, and now it is the only one I use. Kid tested and approved. It's easy, it tastes good, and I can make it from memory. All BIG pluses in my book. I make a pan every time I make chili. Sometimes two. We rarely have any leftovers.

 Without further ado, I give you Aunt Carol's Cornbread Recipe:

Ingredients:
1 stick butter
3 eggs
2 boxes Jiffy or Flako Corn Muffin Mix
1/2 cup sugar
8 oz sour cream
1 can creamed corn (I know what you're thinking. Don't be scared. I'm not crazy about the stuff either        but it makes the cornbread taste YUMMY!)

Preheat your oven to 350. Put the stick of butter in a 9 x 13 baking pan. Pop it in the oven until it is just melted. Mix all the other ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Pour it over the melted butter. DO NOT MIX IN THE BUTTER. Bake for about 30 minutes, until golden and done in the center.

Enjoy!!

~amy danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind thoughts...