Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Potty Training Successes and Other Small Victories...

Just when things seemed to be totally overwhelming, something got easier! Yay! Justice, our now THREE YEAR OLD (oh no! I must have blinked and my baby grew up!!!) has been very resistant to potty training. Actually, that is about the understatement of the year.

Now, I'm not exactly a potty training rookie. I have successfully potty trained FIVE children! We have tried motivation (praise didn't cut it, so we pulled out the big guns and offered Hershey's kisses- one for number one and two for number two! We figured we'd worry about dental bills and unhealthful eating habits later. One problem at a time after all...) We have also tried using discipline once we KNEW he was simply refusing to cooperate. But little Justice just dug in his heels, gritted his teeth, and decided he would forever live a chocolate-free existence with an occasional reprimand or pop on the behind. *sigh*

But, as the Bible wonderfully teaches, God never gives us more than we can bear. Never. And honestly, three children in diapers was testing my limits. So just about the time I was considering buying stock in Huggies and Burt's Bee's diaper rash cream- voila!!! Justice suddenly *gets* it!!! And here's the real kicker: Aiden, our 19 month old who has been silently observing the potty training process, seems to have *gotten* it too! Every time Justice goes on the toilet, Aiden pulls off his little diaper and goes too! The only poopy diaper I had to change yesterday was Owen's. Is life good or what?!?!? (And for those of you wondering, YES, I *DO* realize most *NORMAL* people only have to change *ONE* baby's diapers at a time. But to be fair, I have never claimed normalcy. *insert my sweetest smile*)

So today, since I need to go to my postpartum check-up and run a couple quick errands, we will be sure to make lots of stops for potty breaks and bring a change of clothes... just in case. Oh yeah, and while we are out, we might as well buy another bag of Hershey's kisses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind thoughts...